Friday, March 25, 2016

Wine Jug Makeover

There have been a couple of parties recently where I have made Sangria. I use the inexpensive jug wine to make it. I love the shape of the jugs and hate to get rid of them so I decided to try the image transfer technique that I recently posted. If you missed it, this is what I shared...
That post can be found HERE.

I wasn't sure how the technique would work on glass. I was afraid that when I sprayed the bottle with water and began to rub away the paper, that the paint might come off too. But, I am happy to report that that was not the case!

I started with this jug...

After removing the label, I painted the jug with 2 coats of Dixie Belle paint in the color Dropcloth.


I wanted an image that would fit in the flat oval part of the jug where the original label had been. I found a French image that I liked on The Graphics Fairy. I resized the image to fit on the jug and then printed it in reverse so that when the image is transfered the words won't be backwards. I then took what I printed to Staples to make copies on a laser printer. The colors will bleed if you use an ink jet printer.

 I covered the image in Dixie Belle Clear Coat and then laid it face down on the jug and allowed it to dry completely.

Once completely dry, I sprayed the paper with water and began to gently rub away the paper.

As it dries, if all the paper isn't removed, the image will look milky. I kept spraying with water until all the paper was removed.

I covered the entire jug with clear coat to seal it. Then I added a small rope around the top to finish it off.



I may have to make Sangria more often so I can makeover more jugs!



Now, about that Sangria! If you're interested, here's the recipe I use. It comes from my friend, Carol.

Carol's Sangria:
1 jug of Burgundy
1 Cup Peach Flavored Brandy
1 Cup Sugar
4 Lemons, Sliced
4 Oranges, Sliced
Ginger Ale

Mix all ingredients, except the ginger ale, and chill for 4 hours. When you're ready to serve, add ginger ale. Add 1/2 to 1 liter of the ginger ale depending on how strong you want it.
Enjoy!
Pin It



Linking To:
  Someday Crafts, Sew Much A Do, Ginger Snap CraftsCreations By KaraRae Gun Ramblings, Ivy & Elephants,   Seven Thirty Three The Shabby Creek Cottage, Seven AliveBear Rabbit Bear Crafts, Made In A Day, Katherine's Corner, Redoux, Chic On a ShoestringSimply Sweet Home, The Shabby NestMomnivore's Dilema, Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs OlsonTruly LovelyThe Cottage Market,  Funky Junk Interiors,  Tatertots & Jello,   Blissful & Domestic, A Vision To Remember, Boogieboard Cottage,  DIY Showoff, Craft-O-Maniac,  Under The Table and Dreaming, Keeping It Simple, Homemaker On A Dime, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated House Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts,  Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished Bliss, A Bowl Full Of LemonsMad In Crafts, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A HousewifeToday's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie Homework, Kammy's KornerI Gotta CreateThrifty 101 Domestically Speaking,  C.R.A.F.T., The Answer Is Chocolate, Skip To My LouThe Thrifty HomeAdorned From AboveCedar Hill Ranch, Classy Clutter, Flutter BusterTwelve O Eight, Nap Time Creations, The Shady Porch, JoJo And Eloise, Hope In Every Season, The Foley FamHouse Of HoffOur Home Away From Home, Living Well Spending Less, Remodelaholic, A Lived In Home, Flamingo ToesVMG206 Finding Silver Pennies, Mad Cap Frenzy Gingerly Made,  Pink Heels Pink TruckMinnette's MazeMade To Be A Momma Start At HomeLil Mrs ToriHomecomingThe Vintage FarmhousePink Recipe BoxSweet HauteTable For SevenBe BetsyIt Happens In A BlinkOne Dog Woof, 4 You With Love, A Stroll Thru LifeA Bright And Beautiful LifeCrafty Goodies Live Love CreateThe Koenigs CreateBloom Designs,French Country Cottage, Daisy Cottage Designs, Orchard Girls, Elizabeth Joan Designs, The Scoop, Stone Gable, Knick Of Time, Lou Lou Girls, Karen's Up On The Hill, Friday's Furniture Fix, DIY-Crush, Patina Paradise, Charm Bracelet Diva,


Photobucket/

10 comments:

  1. This jug transformation is fabulous! I love the paint color you chose, and the rope really adds a finishing touch. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm! Happy Easter! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just last weekend I saved a couple of interesting liquor bottles not knowing what I was going to do with them. Now I know! I just love how yours turned out! Pinning to share ☺ And speaking of sharing, thanks for sharing your Sangria recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jug looks very nice. You did I great job. The rope is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the look of the jug. I have never transferred images onto glass. I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How creative and neat is this! I have a few bottles I would really love to try this on. Great tutorial, and I have never tried Sangria so the bonus recipe is awesome too! Found you at That DIY Party, definitely Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bottle turned out beautifully! Thank you for the instructions, AND the recipe, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh- you elevated the value of that plain green bottle to a designer accent! The sangria recipe sounds good- great recipe for a party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a very cool project! I wonder about the words backwards..so I was thinking of putting them on the back of a clear bottle so you could see the label through the front? does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got several jugs sitting around that I didn't know what to do with - now I do! Yours turned out beautiful. Thanks for sharing it at Talk of the Town - I'm pinning it on the party board, and giving you a shout-out on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  10. could I ask if the product you used for this project is actually a paint? you made it look very easy and would love to try it,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...