Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lampshades

Customize lampshades to match your decor!

I recently bought a lamp at a yard sale for $3. I liked the shape of the lamp but not the style. But, I knew with a coat of paint (or two) I could transform the "country" style into something more appropriate for my decor. 
I had been wanting to try my hand at making lampshades, so when a friend gave me 2 bags that had been made out of burlap rice sacks, I knew they would be perfect for my lamp.
Here's what I started with...
 The colors of the lamp do work with the colors of the rice sack but I'm not into the apple and checkerboard, so I painted the lamp...
I painted it a barn red and while it was still wet I blended in some black.
I bought a lampshade at Lowe's for $4.99 (it cost more that the lamp and burlap sack)! I laid the shade down on its side and following along with a marker, I made a template. I then used the template to cut my sack...

Using "no sew" glue, I adhered the burlap to the shade...

Now for the disclaimer...
The shade ended up being the wrong size for the lamp, so these pictures are just to see how the individual parts turned out...


I have since made a shade for another lamp using a toile fabric. 

I added 3 fabric flowers to the shade that I made using the same fabric...




Oh, I forgot to mention that this time I bought an old lampshade at Goodwill and covered it. No one would ever know (except for the fact that I just told them)!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you stopped by the Sunday Social at The Kurtz Corner! Following you! :)

    Audra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and I love the rice sack looks really good ! Have a nice week...Gail x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, new follower via The Sasse Life(Sunday Social)

    http://www.sjb-myphotopage.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...